Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The ugly side of business

I've been having to make changes, in response to the economy, namely that nasty little liquid that my car has to munch on. Four freaking dollars! And Texas is normally pretty cheap on gas too. As soon as I get enough money to, I'm buying a vespa. The hubs has called me many various names but I know I'll be getting a kiss on the cheek after the first month I've gotten it for how much money it will save us. 70 miles per gallon!!! Hopefully I will be able to make enough by the end of the year and it will be my present to myself. Of course it will be blue and I might get this girl who's done some decals for me in the past to make a custom decal that way it can be the blue yarn mobile. (yep, I'm that kind of dork)

Okay, back to the ugly side of business. I'm having to alter my shipping. I'm going to go to first class where I can charge roughly the same amount for domestic shipping and not have it eat into my profits. I will still offer the option for priority where in the notes you can ask for it and I will send an adjusted invoice through paypal. Long story short, it takes roughly four dollars for me to the yarn in the store and get it out the door. Half of that is what I've been splitting in the difference for priority shipping. With the cost of everything going up, I can't do this anymore :( I will still be more than willing to ship priority, however, it will be for the full price. I will have to charge an additional amount per skein as first class is measured by ounce. But I will offer shipping savings on orders over $60. They will get free first class shipping. I will also be reducing the amount of times I go to the post office to Tuesdays and Fridays. Now, of course, if I happen to know that I'm driving by and I have yarn that needs to go out, of course it will be! :)

I'll keep trying to find ways to pass on shipping savings to all my customers and where there is a will, there is a way.....right?

No comments: