Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What have I gotten myself into?

I am so happy to report that contest entries are starting to trickle in! If the essays that have been enter so far are a portion of what's to come... this is going to be hard to choose. I don't even think hard is the right word for it, herculean is probably more like it. I have to say though, that I feel so honored and humbled with what people have shared with me so far. The love that people have for Ravelry is immense. Community doesn't even begin to describe what this place is. Great, now I'm watering my cheeks again!

Some news I did want to post about to, which I'm whole heartedly ashamed about, is that I finally completed my first pair of socks. Yes, I have been a sock yarn dyer longer than I have been a sock knitter. Yes, I'm hanging my head in shame. Now to my defense (and demise), my knitting has always taken on a personality. If it upsets me, I put it in time out. I have, on record, about 6 different socks that have been put in time out because either a needle broke, I goofed up really bad on the pattern and I can't bring myself to frog it or my little monster child has gotten ahold of it and ripped out a weeks worth of precious work. I get so discouraged so it sits. But now, I have a new found determination. I put the socks on my feet last night and I don't want to take them off!! They're still on my feet! Yes, I know it's gross but the comfy warm feeling without sweating is absolutely devine. Now I get the desire and want to knit socks. You just can't buy stuff like this. So today, I'm casting on another pair, probably baudelaire in my recent stash edition, Bling from Zen Yarn Garden Yarns. She doesn't have any in stock right now, but wow is it beautiful. As soon as we get some sun, I'm going to take photo's of my new socks though.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand! As of right now, I have six hanks of hand-dyed sock yarn (dyed by me - not NEAR as pretty as yours!) and only one half-knitted sock. And that half-knitted sock isn't even in my own dyed yarn! :D

nanni said...

I have the opposite problem. I bought yarn to try dying but haven't gotten around to it because that would take time away from knitting the socks.

pantoufle said...

lvNow that you have completed them, you will be totally addicted to sock knitting. I avoided it for a year, just because I was afraid to the addiction thing. Then I succumbed to the peer pressure, and I too am an addicted sock knitter.

Dee said...

lol! Yes, I've already cast on the baudelaire in the Zen Yarn Garden Bling. I've got to wash the socks now...I finally peeled them off after my husband came home and said, "Still? Eww!" So, yes, I think I finally caught the bug!