Monday, December 3, 2007

Feverish Needles

I finally decided what to work on for gifts for friends. I can't post what I'm making for C, but I will after I've given it to her. Everyone that I've shown it to says I couldn't have picked anything more perfect for her so I'm encouraged. She says that she got me 'the perfect gift'. I've never had anyone do what I do. It definitely makes me feel warm and squishy knowing that a friend could care so much.


I've also decided to attempt to make some short fingerless gloves for my friend Michael. I made these for myself with my own hand dyed yarn, Pixie. Please ignore the room behind, I had just gotten a new computer and like with all new things, screw the mess, just get it out so I can play with it!!:


028

He's tried them on a couple of times and seems to look on them fondly, despite them being for my freakishly small hands AND quiet girly. I want to make his partner something as well, but have already been informed that gifts are not wanted this year. (phooey!) But I got him a card instead. I was thinking some really nice worsted weight ones in dark green or a dark green/black mottled yarn with light cables and ribs on the topside. I need to do super wash though or I'll probably get them back, re gifted to Goose for his fourth birthday.

I also found this beautiful yarn when I went the other day and did the taboo thing of buying myself something during the holiday season. But can you blame me?



yarn and misc 003

It is Araucania Ranco Multi. This is me in a colorway. It is absolutely beautiful. I almost squealed in Yarns Ewenique when I saw it back near all the other sock yarn. It was buried underneath a whole stack of Cherry Tree Hill and Madeline Tosh., just the little purple end sticking out. Now, normally I'm composed, even amongst yarns I find very appealing. Not this one. I snatched it out from under the pile, Cherry Tree and Madeline going everywhere as if this was the last Tickle Me Elmo left in the Northern Hemisphere. I quickly picked up my mess and observed it in it's full glory. Hind sight now, it must have been another patrons phone ringing, but I swore I could hear a full angel choir as I looked the beautiful yarn baby over. Perfect in every way. Tears held back, I finished up my purchase and drove with it sitting proudly out so I could steal a glance at it at red lights.

So, this is why I've been feverishly knitting. Deadlines of making things for friends non withstanding, but I have restrained myself to finishing those before I'm allowed to touch that skein because I know that when I do, nothing else will get picked up.

No comments: