Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Finally, Updates and More!


I got more yarn in! Woo hoo! So happy! Now I just need to find the time to dye it during this hectic holiday season. And what colors to dye it. It's been so long since I have had yarn that I almost can't remember what colors I like to dye. Okay, I'm not that far off. But I did want to get some opinions about these two new colorways that I've come up with.

They're not the greatest pictures, if you click on them, it'll bring up the full size, but one is a kettle dye of my bruised colorway, with some new colors thrown in there and the one of the left is what I've donned "Adorned". I got the inspiration from Christmas ornaments that I saw where they were Chartreuse, Turquoise, Burnt Orange and a light Burgundy. Hubs says it looks very rave-ish. Any opinions? Use one or the other or both? Neither?

I do have some new changes with my yarn. My supplier is offering a three ply sock weight over the two ply. I decided to go with the three ply because it will make a thicker fabric and can be knitted on larger gauge needles...probably up to a four or five, where you were pushing it with a three on the two ply. There might be a slight sacrifice with the three ply as it doesn't seem to have as tight of twist, but that might be compensated by the fact of their being one other ply there. (okay, sorry, completely nerded out...I could talk about dye solutions and measurements and math....)

I am also going to hopefully be carrying a new yarn, which I'm thinking about naming Heather Silk. It is a merino superwash wool and silk blend. Three of the four plies in this yarn are the merino and one is silk. Mountain Colors has worked with this yarn and I've bought it and it is sooo freaking soft. I felt a scrap knitted up in my LYS and it really does feel like the velvet on a deer's horn when turned into a fabric. And with that one ply being silk, it doesn't saturate with the same intensity as the merino so if you dye the yarn black, you'd end up with a grey twist candy striping up the yarn. It looks really cool. I'd say it's a light worsted and recommended 4-6 size needle. And again, what's nice, it's superwash! :)

Hopefully by my birthday I will be able to start staging this blog and my etsy store into my own website, http://www.bluehandsfibers.com/. I've owned it for the longest and have been scrambling to learn coding to get it together in something, like my yarns, I feel is presentable to my customers. Dyeing the yarn is the easy part....Just please, send well wishes of good coffee, lots of rest and little interruptions from the hubs at night and maybe I'll get it done soon!

1 comment:

PinkFlamingo said...

Arrrg I just tried to post... and it didn't work.

Dont' have time to type everything out again but here is the general idea.

Like both of the colorways... I tend to like jewel tones better personally, but the variation on the bruised would be nice for more masculine garments.

The silk/wool mix sounds great (I might have to have you dye some up for me in various shades of pinks and reds with maybe a little bit of purple in there too).

And for those who have not seen her yarns in person... they are very very lovely (pictures don't really do them justice).